- John Hunter
- professional life
- John Hunter
- professional life
- John Hunter
- John Hunter
I have spent most of my professional life working in the areas of management improvement and internet technology.
- Management Consulting
- Software development, consulting, internet web network
- Added ranked lists of sites (for fun): management improvement blogs and leadership blogs
- Moved JohnHunter.com website into Ruby on Rails
- Worked on an online management course (I have put the course on hold for now).
- 2004 to 2015 - presented seminars for The W. Edwards Deming Institute (management consulting)
- Added George Box articles and reports to Bill Hunter website
- New blog on Freelance Lifestyle, Finance and Entrepreneurship
- Published the Deming Quotes web site
- Added a new photo section for my website
- Moved back to the USA
- New blog: Curious Cat Travel Blog
- Deming Institute: added collection of sourced quotes by Dr. Deming, added podcast web site, presented a seminar in Hong Kong and continued to author the blog.
- Major updates to the management and leadership quotes website (including moving code to Ruby on Rails)
- Helped with HackerSpace Johor Bahru, Malaysia including their web site and twitter.
- Updated Peter Scholtes' website.
- Published: Management Matters: Building Enterprise Capability. The book providing an overview of a complete management system (heavily based on Dr. Deming's management ideas and the devevlopment of those ideas through lean thinking and agile software development implementations.
- Management consuting by the minute - get quick answers to your management improvement question via a simple phone call with me.
- Started blogging regularly for The W. Edwards Deming Insitute blog and Hexawise - Combinatorial Softare Testing blog.
- Joined ASQ Influential Voices bloggers.
- Launched Curious Cat Travel Destination web site
- Moved to Malaysia, working on Curious Cat Ltd. projects full time (management consulting, writting, managing a web network)
- 2010-2012: major revisions to the Curious Cat management and investing sites: moving into a Ruby on Rails framework and adding many features to the sites. Also moved Curious Cat Web Directory and other sites into Ruby on Rails.
- New blogs on Curious Cat Blog Network: Travel Australia, Living in Malaysia, Singapore Trails.
- Purchased and upgraded Australian travel web site network, including: Mount Buller, Daintree Rainforest, Kakadu National Park and Hunter Valley.
- Senior Consultant for Hexawise
- Launched Curious Cat Code: I continue to learn to program with Ruby on Rails.
- Launced Curious Cat Blog Network: Architecture Inspiration, Cat Care
- Added 2 more web sites to the Curious Cat Ltd. family: CSS4Free and Multi PageRank Checker
- Started Curious Cat Management Improvement Blog and Curious Cat Science and Engineering Blog
- Presented to the Deming Scholar MBA Program at Fordham University (2005 and 2006)
- Information Technology Project Manager for the American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE) for 9 science and engineering fellowship programs (including the National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship Program) and other IT projects using Ruby on Rails (RoR). We started using RoR in 2006.
Links shown via the Wayback Machine - since they have been removed. While working at the White House Military Office from 2001 until 2004 one of the projects I worked on was the team to create a new whitehouse.gov. As part of that project we created the first public web site for the White House Military Office which includes: Air Force One, Camp David and the White House Medical Unit.
The new site was launched August 31st 2001, photo link. The Wayback Machine shows the site before the redesign (11 May 2001 example) and after the redesign (15 Oct 2001 example). Also see the whitehouse.gov site during the Clinton Administration (21 June 2000 example)
I worked for the Office of the Secretary of Defense Quality Management Office from 1996 to 2001. White there I worked on the web site and intranet site and managed the application development for the Interactive Customer Evaluation system.
In 2000, I founded curiouscat.com ltd. and continue to work on curiouscat.com web sites and designing and improving web sites and web applications for clients.
I participated in the Deming Electronic Network since helping found it in 1994 until it closed in 2007 and was a founding member of the Washington Deming Study Group, where I served on the board for several years.
Mission: To Expand our knowledge and awareness of customer focused continual improvement management practices and promote their application in government, education and business in order to improve people's lives.
I have been involved in improving the management of government. Previously, I served on the board of the Public Sector Network (now the Government Division of American Society for Quality) for several years (and established their online presence).
I established the Public Sector Continuous Improvement Site, in 1995. The site aims to help Public Sector employees improve their organizations. We focus on the following methods of improvement: the System of Profound Knowledge (W. Edwards Deming), System Thinking, Statistical Process Control, Customer Focus, Joy in Work, Learning Organizations and Innovation.
I have spoken at various conferences including the National Quality Education Conference, the W. Edwards Deming Institute Conference and the ASQ Quality Management Division conference (topic: Using Quality to Develop an Internet Resource). And I have presented to the Deming Scholars MBA program at Fordham University. I have also served on the planning committees for FedWeb and Government Services online conferences.
My resumes provides more details on my work experiences.
My professional life builds on some of the work of my father (Bill Hunter): I created a web site to share his work: Life and Legacy of William G. Hunter. The site includes Information on his life, his work and his legacy: the Center for Quality and Productivity Improvement, the Madison Area Quality Improvement Network's annual Hunter Conference on Quality (no longer held), the ASQ Statistics Division's Hunter Award and more.
Peter Scholtes and my father worked on what I believe to be the first application of Quality Management principles in the Public Sector: working with the First Street Garage in Madison, Wisconsin. I manage Peter's web site: Scholtes Seminars and Consulting. Peter dedicated the Team Handbook to Bill Hunter. He also wrote the Leader's Handbook
John Hunter has experience in management improvement (customer focused continuous improvement, process improvement, systems thinking) and related areas. Since 1995, I have used the internet and internet technology to improve the results of management improvement efforts.
- Deming, Agile Software Development, Lean and Leadership
- Good Process Improvement Practices
- How to Get a New Management Strategy, Tool or Concept Adopted
- Using Quality to Develop an Internet Resource
- Purpose of an Organization
- Financial Market Meltdown
- 30 Year Fixed Mortgage Rates and the Fed Funds Rate
- Economic Strength Through Technology Leadership
- Diplomacy and Science Research
- Dangers of Forgetting the Proxy Nature of Data
- Awesome Cat Cam